A travel insurance policy’s goal is to provide financial security after losses suffered during any unfavourable circumstances. Knowing how to lodge a claim on your travel insurance online will help you do your part to make sure your insurance serves its intended purpose.
Here is a guide to assist you in making travel insurance claims quickly and effectively:
Preparations for travel
- Take pictures of all your papers and valuables and store them securely on your email or Google Drive so that you always have access to them.
- Write down any information that can be used to identify your products, such as the model and serial numbers for your electronics.
- Make at least two copies of each of your travel documents, carry one and give the other to another friend/family member.
- Make sure your foreign travel insurance policy number and emergency contact information are readily available in case of need.
Claiming lost, stolen, or damaged luggage
- Within 24 hours of the incident, report any lost or stolen luggage to the nearest police station. A copy of this report is required as supporting documentation for your insurance claim.
- If a police record is unavailable for any reason, certain insurance companies may accept evidence from the manager of your hotel or your transportation company.
- You may also claim the cost of replacing necessities while your luggage was delayed. Again, your travel company will need to give an evidence report for this.
Making a medical expense claim
- Before beginning non-emergency therapies, try to get in touch with your foreign travel insurance company and gain their clearance. Keep the bills safe so you can claim the money when you get back.
- You are expected to report an emergency or accident as soon as you can. Call the emergency number and be as specific as possible about your health. If you are unable to report the incident yourself, you can ask those who are travelling with you to do so on your behalf.
- Don’t forget to carefully store all of the receipts.
- Keep in touch with your insurance company frequently throughout each stage if you require follow-up care from your insurance. This will guarantee that all expenses are covered.
- Check that the receipts you plan to use as proof are properly signed, dated, and include the location of the hospital where you had the treatment.
- In the event of an accident involving a third party, the travel insurance online company will also want a copy of the police report.
Making a cancellation claim with your travel insurance
The most difficult claims to prove are those for paying for trip cancellations or cutting short the journey time. Your insurance company won’t approve this claim unless it is backed up by solid evidence.
You must provide written documentation in this situation. For example, if your vacation was cancelled due to the death of a family member, present the death certificate. Present a police report in the event of a theft or burglary. You may need to check if flight insurance will still cover it.
Putting in a claim
Solicit compensation as quickly as you can. Every organisation allots a certain window of time before you may submit a return claim. This normally happens 40–60 days after the day you returned. Most businesses allow you to complete the process online. Visit the website of your insurance provider to download the claim form. Send your properly completed claim form, along with any other necessary or pertinent papers, through email.
You could be required to post the documents by some employers. If you want to do this, be sure to make a copy of each document before sending the originals to your business. You may be able to do this on the travel insurance app as well.
* Standard T&C Apply
** Currently, there are 2 tax regimes in India – new and old. To get the tax benefit you desire, choose the correct one after consulting an expert. You can opt for a regime change during the next financial year.
# Visit the official website of IRDAI for further details.
## All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI-approved insurance plan. Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions,
limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully
before concluding a sale.